Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Validation

YES!
It turns out that after six years of college I actually do know something about speech and language disorders!

About 2 weeks ago, one of my old professors from the Special Ed department asked me to be a guest speaker in her disabilities course.  She wanted me to talk about speech-language disorders for, like, a whole hour in front of her class of grad students.  Eep.  But it ended up going really well.   Thankfully the class was talkative (to me), had lots of questions, and could follow my rambly train of thought with relative ease.  Or at least they were polite and good at pretending. :)    It felt sort of like an exit exam for my 2 years of grad school....and it is encouraging to discover that I have learned something in the past several years.

In other news, I keep hearing about people who accepted a job, then found another job and said "sorry, never mind..." aka, "yoink!"  Really??  People really, really do that?  (For background, see post entitled "conflict"...)  Okay, you did it.  Whatever.  But please stop telling me that I should do the same thing.  In the words of George H.W. Bush (Dana Carvey version...imagine hand gestures and imprecise, hypernasal speech), "Not. gonna. do it.  Wouldn't be prudent."

INTEGRITY.  Eesh....

Today started out sort of long, but things are definitely looking up.  :)
Happy first day of summer!  Get out there tonight and enjoy the longest day of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment