Friday, June 24, 2011

The piteous Point

"Behold yon miserable creature.  That Point is a Being like ourselves, but confined to the non-dimensional Gulf.  He is himself his own World, his own Universe: of any other than himself he can form no conception; he knows not Length, nor Breadth, nor Height, for he has had no experience of them; he has no cognizance even of the number Two; nor has he a thought of Plurality; for he is himself his One and All, being really Nothing.  Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn this lesson, that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."

An illustration of self-centeredness and introversion?  Interesting, anyhow.  I admit that the book Flatland has more heart than I anticipated.  :)  It's pretty short, so if you're looking for something to read, look into it....and don't pass judgment too fast.  I kind of like this business of having time and energy to read in the evenings. On to Catch-22?  I've been meaning to read that for years....  Laura and I are going to my parents' house to go swimming this afternoon.  Maybe I will start it while sitting by the pool....that sounds nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment