Friday, July 24, 2015

People-Watching


A few years back, I did not understand how people-watching was okay. As an introvert, The whole idea seemed pretty rude. I didn't want people looking at me, so why was it okay if I stared at them?  I have finally realized what you readers have probably understood all your lives. (When done with proper intentions,) People-watching isn't creepy-- It's community. By observing others we can learn about them and from them.

So thank you, man lying under the shade tree in the park, for reassuring me that I am not alone on this seemingly lazy day, and for reminding me that I should not take this "free" time for granted...that I should make more effort to enjoy this time and be truly appreciative of it.

Thank you, older man sitting on his walker seat, staring toward the lagoon as if searching for something...Thank you for reminding me to pray for those who grieve...and to be thankful for what I have.

Thank you, 10-year-old kids sitting at the picnic table with that teenager (although I really hope you were not talking about what I am pretty sure you were talking about…).Thank you for reminding me how short innocence can last.

Thank you, Dalito, the person I watch by far the most frequently... for your rewarding snuggles and smiles, even though they are eventually followed by your cries...so many cries. And thank you for enjoying stroller rides through the park on beautiful summer days so that Mommy can clear her head.

To all the friendly amblers and cyclists that I strolled past today-- Thank  you for saying "Hi." You might be the only adults besides Ryan that I will see all day today. 

To the people with the cute chairs on their front lawn-- Thank you for giving me food for thought. :)

I am blessed to have you all as part of my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment