Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"What about me?"

At my school, there is one 3-year-old in particular that inspires my musings about parallels between our Teacher God and earthly teachers.   After I spend the morning with this student, I often leave scratched, bitten, pinched, or mildly beaten.  He refuses to listen to his teachers, and hardly hesitates to hurt us.  Sometimes if I show him a particularly deep scratch he has given me, I think I see a glimmer of remorse, but it is usually short-lived.  I might get a quick "sorry" out of him if be is prompted...not too convincing.  Soon he is back to his old ways, whining and screaming, "what about me??... I don't want to!!"  We remind him that it is not about him, and it ultimately does not matter what he wants.  He has to do what he has to do.  We all have to.

The moral of the day?  I may end this morning with a small, bleeding scratch on my hand from my student's transgression, but my transgressions caused my loving Teacher to be tortured and die on a cross.  Can I ever, in good conscience ask the question, "What about me?"

1 comment: