Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Freeloading

Unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required.  Luke 12:48

I have been given everything.  So lately I have been telling God that I am finally committing to giving everything back.

...But it seems like when I say that (before any serious action is taken), I am really hoping God will reply, "Oh, you are so good and faithful...thank you for saying that...Here are more rewards."

Now, I know that if I really did give Him everything back (is that even humanly possible?), He probably would give me more (and He might even if I didn't) because He is so unfathomably gracious like that.  But the point is that I seem to be rarely genuine when praying that prayer...my motives may be skewed, imagine that...  I make the promise, but when God tells me what He requires of me, I shy away.

That is a common Christian sob story, one that can easily be consoled by a blanket of rationalization...it's human nature, after all... But comforting coverings like blankets generally don't hold up under fire.  Instead, I need to look for a solution that is solid and secure...but may not feel quite so warm and fuzzy...............

I'm going to halt this train of thought right now before it derails and careens irrevocably into The Ravine of Nonsensical and Disjointed Metaphor.
                                                                                    ...although that sounds like a magical place
I just really, truly pray to be used this year, and that I won't let myself get in the way of any plans God has.

No comments:

Post a Comment